Pastor Daniel Cassels, his wife Hannah, children Jack, Allie and dog Sammi are new to the Santa Maria area. Daniel grew up in Washington State and Hannah in Globe, Arizona. Though this seems like worlds apart they met while Daniel was serving at Shadow Hills Baptist Church in Las Vegas Nevada. They were married January 06, 2006 and have served God as a family ever since. While attending the The College at Southwestern (a part of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) in Fort Worth, Texas they felt a call to go into full time ministry on the west coast. This call brought them to the wonderful church of Life Way Fellowship in Santa Maria California in 2009. They love to serve God by serving people, fellowshiping, and sharing the Good News of Christ.
YOU’RE ALWAYS DELIVERED
The Fire Within & the Body Throughout
September 28, 2014
1. __________: GOING WITH GOD’S GRAIN
“The Lord handed Jehoiakim king of Judah over to him, along with some of the vessels from the house of God. Nebuchadnezzar carried them to the land of Babylon, to the house of his god, and put the vessels in the treasury of his god.” Daniel 1:2 (HCSB)
“Daniel determined that he would not defile himself with the king’s food or with the wine he drank. So he asked permission from the chief official not to defile himself.” Daniel 1:8 (HCSB)
“How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your word. I have sought You with all my heart; don’t let me wander from Your commands. I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.” Psalms 119:9-11 (HCSB)
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2 (ESV)
1. What are some ways that the world’s system has tried to influence you and define your identity? What specific areas in your life are being targeted?
2. What does God’s Word say about those areas? Whose word is more powerful, the world’s or God’s?
1. Daniel’s trust in God produced a specific action. What specific actions is God leading you to take in this area? Is there a temptation from the world to resist or an identity that you should reject?
2. Remember that every sin has been defeated when Jesus died on the cross. The next time you struggle with these areas, remember what Jesus did. Thank Him for the victory and live accordingly.
2. ____________: LET GOD WORK!
“So Daniel said to the guard whom the chief official had assigned to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, “Please test your servants for 10 days. Let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then examine our appearance and the appearance of the young men who are eating the king’s food, and deal with your servants based on what you see.” He agreed with them about this and tested them for 10 days. At the end of 10 days they looked better and healthier than all the young men who were eating the king’s food. So the guard continued to remove their food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables.”
Daniel 1:11-16 (HCSB)
“The Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you will only move upward and never downward if you listen to the Lord your God’s commands I am giving you today and are careful to follow them. Do not turn aside to the right or the left from all the things I am commanding you today, and do not go after other gods to worship them.” Deuteronomy 28:13-14 (HCSB)
“In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 (HCSB)
1. What challenges are you facing in school, home, or extra-curricular activities now? Are you asking God to give you the ability to excel in those areas?
2. Are there times that you feel intimidated by the world? Are there times that you think you cannot possibly influence others? Who is truly in charge?
1. Read Psalm 18 and see how God comes to the rescue of His people. How does this psalm apply in your situation?
2. Is there something God is telling you to step into or attempt with Him? Have you been delaying it? Maybe it’s time to step out and trust God for the results.
3. BE _________________: DO A LIFESTYLE CHECK
“The administrators and satraps, therefore, kept trying to find a charge against Daniel regarding the kingdom. But they could find no charge or corruption, for he was trustworthy, and no negligence or corruption was found in him. Then these men said, “We will never find any charge against this Daniel unless we find something against him concerning the law of his God.” Daniel 6:4-5 (HCSB)
“Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.”
1 Peter 2:11-12 (NASB)
1. Are you living in a way that is blameless? Are your actions good examples or do they cause other people to stumble?
2. Have you acknowledged your sins and mistakes before God? Have you asked for His grace to live a holy life?
1. Repent from the sins you are committing that are causing others to stumble. Confess them to another mature Christian and ask for prayer if necessary.
2. Break away from your sinful lifestyle, may it be cutting off certain habits, deleting files from your computer, avoiding some situations—whatever it may be, ask God for His grace to live out the holy life He has for you.